[Evergreen-web-team] Donation Button on Home Page

Lazar, Alexey Vladimirovich alexey.lazar at mnsu.edu
Tue May 22 10:59:28 EDT 2012

Well, here is my attempt to be constructive.  Let's get this resolved one way or the other.  Let's make it a simple vote.  Since I originally brought up this topic, here is an outline of the issue and a proposed solution.

Please vote! Those who care to respond, please just say "YES" or "NO" to the whole proposal below.  A "YES" vote means changes to be done now as outlined below.  "NO" means let's postpone until the website re-architecture or some other time.  Also, let's keep the vote to the web and communications team, and then notify the general list of outcomes.  I just want resolution and action, not endless discussion that ends in paralysis.

ISSUES:

1. The SFC tree occupies prime real estate on the Evergreen project front page.  Because of its size in relation to other page elements, it draws significant attention to itself and competes with the actual Evergreen primary logo on top.  Rule of thumb: main brand should be more prominent than external or secondary brand elements.

2. By having at least 3 links on the front page pointing to the donations page (top drop-down, tree and under the tree in quick links) we are very strongly emphasizing the monetary donation aspect, more so than anything else on that page, at least as measured by number of links.

GUIDING PRINCIPLE:

- Encourage monetary donations, but do not emphasize them over other types of involvement, the Evergreen brand or other portions of the site.

PROPOSAL:

1. Permanently move the SFC tree off the front page. The SFC tree will be featured on the About page and on the Support page only.

2. Place the Paypal and the Google donation buttons underneath the Quick Links section on the left.

3. Remove the Donate to Evergreen text link from the Quick Links menu.

EXPECTED OUTCOMES:

1. The SFC logo is no longer a strong focus on the front page, but we preserve it on other pages of the site to demonstrate relationship.

2. Clearly recognizable Paypal and Google donate buttons are present on the front page and other pages.

3. The monetary aspect gets equal emphasis to other topics of the Evergreen website.

Above said, let's keep in mind that we are not talking about building a marble palace to last a 1000 years.  When it comes to websites, I am always in favor of (thoughtful) change and consistent progress.  If the outcome is not as expected, we can always reevaluate and change in the future.

So, I vote do to these changes now, and later use the same strategic approach for future website changes.

So, with your responses, please yes/no, or +1/-1 only, no matter the reasons for your vote.  Let's get it done!

Thanks for your time.

Alexey Lazar
PALS
Information System Developer and Integrator
507-389-2907
http://www.mnpals.org/