[Evergreen-web-team] [OPEN-ILS-DOCUMENTATION] A couple patches for Server Installation Instructions

Lazar, Alexey Vladimirovich alexey.lazar at mnsu.edu
Fri Oct 11 12:14:16 EDT 2013

Hi, Kathy.

On 2013-10-11, at 10:17 , Kathy Lussier <klussier at masslnc.org> wrote:

> Hi Alexey,
>
>> Maybe things have changed, but as I recall from a few years back screen readers used by visually impaired people often summarize the links on a web page by reading them out and skipping other content. In the cases where there are multiple links like "Read more" or "Learn more", which rely on visual proximity to other elements that provide context, users of screen readers are not presented with the same context. Also, special characters used there, in this case I think guillemets, would be read out. If there is agreement that this is an issue that should be addressed, I would suggest removing those buttons and the "Learn more »" text altogether and just linking the text above.
>
> I could be mistaken, but I think that's only a problem when using an image for a button. I looked at the code and, in this case, the buttons are standards links that are using CSS to style them as buttons.

I think you're thinking of a problem where if text is embedded as part of an image it is unreadable by screen readers without a proper alt tag. The issue I bring up is when the links have the same text it is impossible for screen reader users to tell what the links are actually linking to. I noticed that the "learn more" links on the Evergreen front page use the "title" attribute that is more descriptive. I though maybe that helps the screen readers and went looking for confirmation. Found the opposite is true. Check this out: http://blog.silktide.com/2013/01/i-thought-title-text-improved-accessibility-i-was-wrong/

Aleksey Lazar
IS Developer and Integrator - PALS
http://www.mnpals.org/