[Evergreen-web-team] Question about editing listings on the vendor page

Kathy Lussier klussier at masslnc.org
Wed Feb 10 16:54:06 EST 2016

Hi all,

It's been a while since we've had much discussion about the web site.

I have a question about our current policy for companies/organizations
to be listed on the vendor page.

As of now, we request that organizations submit a request to the general
list asking to be added to the page. I have generally be the person who
adds those organizations to the page.

However, while I was on the page today getting ready to submit my own
request, I noticed that some vendors have since edited their own
listings. In fact, I think I was once asked by a vendor if they could
update their own listing, and, since it was just an e-mail address
change, I told them it wouldn't be a problem. I see there have been
other vendors who have made more extensive changes to their listings,
expanding upon the description of services.

These changes raised a couple of questions:

1. Was I wrong in telling a vendor they could update their contact
information or should all updates go through the web team. My thinking
is that people on the general list would be annoyed if a vendor had to
send a request every time contact people changed within an organization.

2. If vendors can edit their own listing, what's the purposes of asking
them to submit the original request? What's to stop them from
characterizing their services in one way when submitting the request and
then changing it to something that totally misrepresents their services?
To be clear, I'm not saying that anyone has, to date, mischaracterized
the services they provide.

3. Are there better ways we can approach this page? Is the wiki the best
place to put this page?

Thanks in advance for any thoughts you have on this!

Kathy

--
Kathy Lussier
Project Coordinator