[Evergreen-web-team] Question about editing listings on the vendor page

Rogan Hamby rogan.hamby at yclibrary.net
Thu Feb 11 07:11:11 EST 2016

I'm in a rush right now to hit the road so just my .02 dinars:

1.  Operational changes like an email seem very straightforward to me, I
think you did the right thing.

2. I think we should periodically, even if informally, reviewing it.  I
don't know if we can make guidelines that will cover all situations.  I
suppose I feel a bit more casual about it than I would if we were talking
about the website than the WIKI.  The WIKI is (to me) a less authoritative
place because much is old, not upkept, can be edited by anyone.  To me the
threshold we're trying to maintain on it is much lower than if it were a
page on the open-ils.org site.

3.  I think if we want them to have more exposure we would move it to a
part of open-ils.org and in that case see #2 for more of my thoughts.
Honestly, I think the main body of users that will find them on the WIKI
are people who already know who all the entities on that list are.

On Wed, Feb 10, 2016 at 4:54 PM, Kathy Lussier <klussier at masslnc.org> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> It's been a while since we've had much discussion about the web site.
>
> I have a question about our current policy for companies/organizations to
> be listed on the vendor page.
>
> As of now, we request that organizations submit a request to the general
> list asking to be added to the page. I have generally be the person who
> adds those organizations to the page.
>
> However, while I was on the page today getting ready to submit my own
> request, I noticed that some vendors have since edited their own listings.
> In fact, I think I was once asked by a vendor if they could update their
> own listing, and, since it was just an e-mail address change, I told them
> it wouldn't be a problem. I see there have been other vendors who have made
> more extensive changes to their listings, expanding upon the description of
> services.
>
> These changes raised a couple of questions:
>
> 1. Was I wrong in telling a vendor they could update their contact
> information or should all updates go through the web team. My thinking is
> that people on the general list would be annoyed if a vendor had to send a
> request every time contact people changed within an organization.
>
> 2. If vendors can edit their own listing, what's the purposes of asking
> them to submit the original request? What's to stop them from
> characterizing their services in one way when submitting the request and
> then changing it to something that totally misrepresents their services? To
> be clear, I'm not saying that anyone has, to date, mischaracterized the
> services they provide.
>
> 3. Are there better ways we can approach this page? Is the wiki the best
> place to put this page?
>
> Thanks in advance for any thoughts you have on this!
>
> Kathy
>

> --
> Kathy Lussier
> Project Coordinator
> Massachusetts Library Network Cooperative
> (508) 343-0128
> klussier at masslnc.org
> Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/kmlussier

Rogan Hamby, MLS, CCNP, MIA
Managers Headquarters Library and Reference Services,
York County Library System

“You can never get a cup of tea large enough or a book long enough to suit
me.”
― C.S. Lewis <http://www.goodreads.com/author/show/1069006.C_S_Lewis>