[OPEN-ILS-DEV] Getting there -- bootstrapping OpenSRF Client problem

Mike Rylander mrylander at gmail.com
Sat Dec 16 10:28:12 EST 2006

On 12/15/06, Joshua Ferraro <jmf at liblime.com> wrote:
> Hey folks,
>
> On Thu, Dec 14, 2006 at 11:24:31PM -0500, Mike Rylander wrote:
> > If you're attempting to install the CPAN bundles you'll likely be
> > disappointed -- they are way out of date (and may never be updated).
> > The top level dependencies are all listed on the wiki, though, and you
> > can find them (some for specific Linux distros) here:
> > http://open-ils.org/dokuwiki/doku.php?id=server_installation .

> I've updated the CPAN bundles with the latest dependencies as listed
> on the wiki, should take a few hours for CPAN to update. I'll try to
> keep tabs on what's required, if you see anything missing let me know
> and I'll add it.

Just so everyone knows, you MUST still follow the instructions on the
wiki, preferably derived from the Debian, Ubuntu or Gentoo docs, for
installing Perl dependencies, especially for the MARC::* related
modules and Javascript::Spidermonkey.  These bundles will not include
the correct versions of the MARC modules, as their maintainers have
not released updated versions, and it can not automate the
installation of JS::SM without a good bit of work, because E4X support
is required in Evergreen.

Also, unless you updated the packages from the recent Debian or Ubuntu
documentation or from a fresh install of your own, as opposed to the
generic "Perl Modules" page, you most likely missed plenty of
dependencies.  Dan Scott and Don McMorris have (quite thankfully!)
done a lot of work fleshing out the installation docs, having gone
through it completely now.  We want to make EG easy for anyone to
install, and maybe we can start by releasing the images/tarballs that
PINES uses for its environment.  While not part of EG proper, it might
simplify things for similar environments.  For the time being these
bundles may not be (and, for some situations, provably aren't) the
best way to accomplish the "easy install" goal.

Josh, the effort is appreciated, but I think it might work better if
you were to check here before pushing out such updates.  We are trying
to build a reasonable release process, and it would make sense for you
to inquire about these matters on the development list if you want to
maintain some working automated dependency bundles and scripts -- you
just need to ask.

Remember that you're attaching the project name to potentially
dead-end parts when you do this with no dependency version testing,
and without even letting anyone know you're planning to do it.  We can
try to bring you up to speed, just try to keep us informed of public
offerings you'd like to contribute -- to make sure that the
development team (and the rest of the community, such as it is today)
is in sync with what you'd like to do.  As you can see, there are
deeper issues to consider when making any sort of release than just
"getting things out there".  We want to release early and often, but
we only want to release working code.

> Cheers,

back at'cha :)

mrylander at gmail.com