[OPEN-ILS-DEV] CVS ILS or Alpha ILS and startup.pl

Bill Erickson billserickson at gmail.com
Mon May 22 14:15:38 EDT 2006

Josh

Below is the startup.pl we use on our Debian boxes :

#!/usr/bin/perl

use DBD::Pg;  # load this here if you are running the reporter
use strict; use warnings;

#
# Extra Perl directories will vary by system and it may not be necessary to
load
# any extra Perl dirs.
#
use lib qw( /openils/lib/perl5 /usr/lib/perl5/Bundle/ );

#
# For publishing the catalog via various output formats
#
use OpenILS::WWW::SuperCat qw( /openils/conf/bootstrap.conf );

#
# Load the following lines if you are running the reporter
# OpenILS::WWW::Reporter
# qw( bootstrap_config, reporter_xml_config, reporter template dir )
#
use DBI;
use OpenSRF::System;
use OpenILS::WWW::Reporter qw(
        /openils/conf/reports_bootstrap.conf
        /openils/conf/reporter.xml
        /openils/var/reporter
        );

A word of caution:
I had some problems with the default apache build for Debian.  I'm not
entirely sure what the problem was, but (one likey issue) it appeared that
the Debian apache2 build was using threads instead of good-ol-fashioned
pre-forked processes.  The OpenSRF gateway and OpenSRF C stack are not
thread-safe.  Of course, one option is to force the Debian build to use
preforked processes.   However, I'm not fond of the idea of chasing down
small differences in the various patched versions of Apache that different
distros use, so I typically build Apache2 from source.

I use something like the following :

apache
/configure --prefix=/opt/ --enable-ssl --enable-expires --enable-headers
--enable-rewrite --enable-deflate
make && make install

mod_perl
perl Makefile.PL MP_AP_PREFIX=/opt && make && make install

Easy as pie :)

If you have good luck with the default Debian Apache2, let us know.

-bill

--
Bill Erickson
PINES Systems Developer