[OPEN-ILS-DEV] migrating records

Mike Rylander mrylander at gmail.com
Wed Apr 11 12:56:50 EDT 2007

On 4/11/07, Doug Kyle <dkyle at grpl.org> wrote:
> Thanks Mike,
>
> So "there are tools" refers to what?  the scripts in the extras dir?

Right.  Depending on the type and quality of the dataset you intend to
import, the tools in extras (and support-scripts) will get you most of
the way there.  The big piece that's missing is semi-automated
holdings import, which can be insanely painful because no products use
the same output format, and even the same product can (and often will)
differ in output between installations.

Depending on your preferred development style (or, alternatively, with
whom you contract -- if one were to go that route) you could create a
small perl script to extract the source-specific holdings information,
or maybe even use XSLT to transform the foreign records into the EG
bib+holdings format.  (That format is not overly well documented, but
it is basically the MARC for holdings format with some specialized
private notes (subfield x) used for certain flags on items.  For now,
see the marc_export script for specifics...)

No import will be entirely without effort at this point, but simply
getting the bib data in shouldn't be too hard, either.  Working
through it over email may not prove feasible if you are in a hurry,
but if high latency isn't a problem then we can give it a try.

--miker

mrylander at gmail.com
GPLS -- PINES Development
Database Developer