[OPEN-ILS-DEV] startup problems

Dan Scott denials at gmail.com
Fri Apr 13 22:20:54 EDT 2007

Hi Rene:

The final install output says something like:

"""
Now you should run the following command:
chmod -R opensrf:opensrf /openils
"""

If you've done this and are running osrf_ctl.sh as the opensrf user,
can you double-check the ownership and permissions for
/openils/conf/opensrf_core.xml? It should be owned by opensrf:opensrf,
with 644 (rw-r--r--) permissions. You may also want to ensure that the
/openils and /openils/conf directories are readable by opensrf.

I spent a few minutes trying to recreate your error situtation.
Changing opensrf_core.xml to invalid XML triggered a different error
message. The only way I was able to trigger the "failed to load
external entity" error was by changing the ownership and permissions
so that the user running osrf_ctl.sh was unable to read the file
(although I also received an error about permissions that tipped me
off).

I wonder whether Jason Stephenson's previous advice to you to change
the ownership of  everything under /openils/ to www-data, rather than
having apache run as the opensrf user, might have introduced this
problem into your build...?

Your seg faults in Apache will probably continue until you get the
OpenSRF / Open-ILS services up and running cleanly. At this point,
I've turned Apache off by default and only start it up after
osrf_ctl.sh -a start_all.

On the bright side of things, I got my Gentoo VMWare image to the
point of having a working OPAC and cleanly running services tonight --
yee-haa!

Dan