[OPEN-ILS-DEV] C code directory layout changes, automake, etc.

Bill Erickson billserickson at gmail.com
Mon Apr 30 09:47:45 EDT 2007

Some efforts are underway to port the install process to autoconf/automake
for ease of deployment.  Jeroen (see his email right before this one :) is
currently leading this charge.  The first goal is to port OpenSRF, since
it's the lowest layer of the ILS and is the most C-heavy layer.  However,
this process has uncovered some cumbersome layout in the C code
directories.  The main issues are the "utils", "libtransport", and
"libstack" directories.  They each contribute part of libopensrf.
Initially, they were meant to represent different reusable components, but
since that never blossomed, I'm proposing each of those directories be
condensed into a single "libopensrf" directory which contains all C
libopensrf code.

An additional idea is to create a top-level "include" directory
(OpenSRF/include) for libopensrf header files that need to be available to
standalone components (router, C apps, etc.) at compile time.  With this, we
will hopefully remove the necessity for a temporary build directory.

So:

OpenSRF/src/utils
              /src/libtransport
              /src/libstack

OpenSRF/include
              /src/libopensrf

One other clarification on the C JSON code.  In 1.3 version of the code
(we're at 1.1. now, stabalizing for 1.2), libobjson will be subsumed by
libopensrf.  It will no longer be a standolone library and the code will
live side-by-side with the opensrf C code.  With our test builds, it lives
in the "libstack" directory, but will be moved into the "libopensrf"
directory should we decide to do that.

Thoughts/suggestions appreciated.

-bill

--