[OPEN-ILS-DEV] C code directory layout changes, automake, etc.

David J. Fiander djfiander at fastmail.fm
Mon Apr 30 09:53:30 EDT 2007

Bill Erickson wrote:
> An additional idea is to create a top-level "include" directory
> (OpenSRF/include) for libopensrf header files that need to be available
> to standalone components (router, C apps, etc.) at compile time.  With
> this, we will hopefully remove the necessity for a temporary build
> directory.
>
> So:
>
> OpenSRF/src/utils
>               /src/libtransport
>               /src/libstack

> OpenSRF/include
>               /src/libopensrf

This looks good, and sounds like it will make things simpler moving
forward.  One minor nit though: it's traditional for the include directory
for a package to have the name of the package, so you'd end up with
something like:

	/src/libopensrf
	/include/OpenSRF

And then you would have a '-I/include' flag for the compile, and the source
would all refer to

	#include <OpenSRF/foo.h>

which tends to make it easier for the person reading the code, especially
those who are less familiar with the layout.

- David

--
David J. Fiander
Digital Services Librarian