[OPEN-ILS-DEV] Re: [open-ils-commits] r7663 - trunk/Open-ILS/xul/staff_client/server/locale/en-US

Mike Rylander mrylander at gmail.com
Wed Aug 15 13:37:34 EDT 2007

On 8/15/07, Dan Scott <denials at gmail.com> wrote:

> > > Hrm, you're right.  I just did that because the sprintf implementation
> > > we were using didn't work with %S, thinking it was the same standard.
> > > Maybe we should make it case-insensitive in this case?  Should we
> > > disallow extra sprintf-isms and just support the Mozilla syntax?
> > >

> > We're going to be using messagecatalog for this, right?  If so, let's
> > please use sprintf syntax (this, again, is why I didn't want the
> > string "stringbundle" involved in our messagecatalog stuff)...
>
> Yes, we're using messagecatalog for this. I thought messagecatalog was
> going to maintain compatibility with the Mozilla syntax, but as long
> as we're willing to document the messagecatalog way of doing things
> and accept whatever slight pain we incur from doing things slightly
> differently from the XUL standard, we can do whatever works (and in
> the end, working code rules!). And I'm willing to document that --
> just give me some time :)

Not to belabor this too much, but I don't think of messagecatalog as a
stringbundle compatible thing in any case.  It uses property files,
but that's more of a convenience thing, IMO, than a compatibility
point.  Also, it supports the {0} syntax (for the benefit of
non-programmers), which breaks with the mozilla stuff in any case.

> Sorry for sounding the alarm, Jason, but it sounds like we clarified a
> slightly fuzzy i18n area so hopefully it was worth it. When I get some
> more time (in a day or two) I'll fix up the property files I had
> submitted previously.

No prob... and thanks!

<pedantry>Just to beat that broken horse record into the ground some
more (yay for superimposed metaphors!), I didn't want to call this
thing anything like "stringbundle" so that there'd be no confusion ...
it's not stringbundles. :)</pedantry>

Equinox Software, Inc
miker at esilibrary.com
http://esilibrary.com/