[OPEN-ILS-DEV] online demo servers

Don McMorris don.mcmorris at gmail.com
Thu Aug 30 11:41:36 EDT 2007

On 8/30/07, Noel Goodman <goldenchild_gt at yahoo.com> wrote:
> Hey all,
>
> Since being met with some memory problems, I'm seeking an alternative to
> testing the staff client.  The how-to-guide suggests using the server
> address as demo.gapines.org.  That's fine.
>
> But when it comes the log in in part, there is a problem. I keep getting an
> error.  The user names don't seem to work and the error message keeps
> appearing several times even after it is cancelled.  It's now the infamous
> 'Fix Me' screen.  I hate it. :) ...check out the screen shot.

Per the download page [1], "For demonstration purposes, you may use
demo.gapines.org as the server for the staff client. Every PINES
library has two sample demo users set up. There is a complete listing
of sample users here[2]. The default password for all of these is
demo123, though we don't automatically reset passwords for the demo,
and some may have been changed. Feel free to use any of these to log
into the system."

> he guide is for the beta release, but the download gives just the regular
> staff client.  The cvs area isn't working right now.  I wanted to check to
> see if the beta download is there.  The setting up the staff client page
> isn't loading as well, so I can't get the user names to test at this point.

Could you provide a link to the page that you're using? It sounds like
it's quite out of date.  For one, CVS was switched to SVN about a
month back.  The download page [1] states: "There is a Trac instance
sitting atop the Subversion repositories for Evergreen and OpenSRF,
both of which you can find at svn.open-ils.org".

Also, I think the beta which is on the page you're reading has since
become stable, and available on the download page [1] as "The
Evergreen staff client (version 1.00 RC2) for Windows...".

> -Is there at present a working user name and password I can use to set up
> the staff client?
Yes.  As a matter of fact, there are several hundred ;).  A list of
them is available at [2], and "The default password for all of these
is demo123, though we don't automatically reset passwords for the
demo, and some may have been changed." (per [1]).

> -Are they other demo servers i can connect to with suitable login and
> password and still be able to test the client ?
demo.gapines.org is /the/ public demo.  Hopefully the users outlined
elsewhere in this message will help.

> thanks
>
> Noel Goodman - University of Guyana

Good Luck!