SPAM: Re: [OPEN-ILS-DEV] Debian version/GCC version

Grace Liu gyliu86 at hotmail.com
Sun Feb 18 22:05:05 EST 2007

Thanks, Don and Mike.

As to linux distro, if Debian is ok, I would prefer it to Gentoo as I am
more familar with it than Gentoo. But Debian Etch has some weird behaviours
and is still in testing while Debian sarge is more stable although its
kernel is a little left behind. From my site, the advantage for using Bebian
Etch is that it already has postgreSQL 8.1.6 while Debian Sarge has
postgreSQL 7.?.?. I can install postgreSQL 8.1.6 from testing sources list
to Debian Sarge but worry about the misfunctions as they are made from
different gcc versions which cause me some headache sometime.

Here comes 2 questions:

Question 1:
If I use Debian Sarge and postgreSQL 7.?.?, would the openils work on it? Or
the openils need the postgreSQL 8.1.? or above ?

Question 2:
I will try Debian Etch again with packages install for postgreSQL and
Apache2. One thing I may need Bill's or someone's help:

On Debian Etch, in stage: "Building and Installing the Source", after make
config step, I tried to make and got the error and I do not know how the
Bill's server pass it (make config). The error message has something like:

/usr/include/apr-1.0/apr.h:270: error: expected ‘=’, ‘,’, ‘;’, ‘asm’ or
‘__attribute__’ before ‘apr_off_t’

line 270 in file apr.h
typedef  off64_t           apr_off_t;

Detailed error message is:
=======================
/usr/include/apr-1.0/apr.h:270: error: expected ‘=’, ‘,’, ‘;’, ‘asm’ or
‘__attribute__’ before ‘apr_off_t’
In file included from /usr/include/apr-1.0/apr_file_io.h:29,
                 from /usr/include/apr-1.0/apr_network_io.h:26,
                 from /usr/include/apache2/httpd.h:53,
                 from apachetools.h:1,
                 from apachetools.c:1:
/usr/include/apr-1.0/apr_file_info.h:210: error: expected
specifier-qualifier-list before ‘apr_off_t’
In file included from /usr/include/apr-1.0/apr_network_io.h:26,
                 from /usr/include/apache2/httpd.h:53,
                 from apachetools.h:1,
                 from apachetools.c:1:
/usr/include/apr-1.0/apr_file_io.h:548: error: expected declaration
specifiers or ‘...’ before ‘apr_off_t’
/usr/include/apr-1.0/apr_file_io.h:740: error: expected declaration
specifiers or ‘...’ before ‘apr_off_t’
In file included from /usr/include/apache2/httpd.h:53,
                 from apachetools.h:1,
                 from apachetools.c:1:
/usr/include/apr-1.0/apr_network_io.h:545: error: expected declaration
specifiers or ‘...’ before ‘apr_off_t’
In file included from /usr/include/apr-1.0/apr_buckets.h:32,
                 from /usr/include/apache2/httpd.h:54,
                 from apachetools.h:1,
                 from apachetools.c:1:
/usr/include/apr-1.0/apr_mmap.h:134: error: expected declaration specifiers
or ‘...’ before ‘apr_off_t’
/usr/include/apr-1.0/apr_mmap.h:161: error: expected declaration specifiers
or ‘...’ before ‘apr_off_t’
In file included from /usr/include/apache2/httpd.h:54,
                 from apachetools.h:1,
                 from apachetools.c:1:
/usr/include/apr-1.0/apr_buckets.h:242: error: expected
specifier-qualifier-list before ‘apr_off_t’
/usr/include/apr-1.0/apr_buckets.h:706: error: expected declaration
specifiers or ‘...’ before ‘apr_off_t’
/usr/include/apr-1.0/apr_buckets.h:718: error: expected declaration
specifiers or ‘...’ before ‘apr_off_t’
/usr/include/apr-1.0/apr_buckets.h:754: error: expected declaration
specifiers or ‘...’ before ‘apr_off_t’
/usr/include/apr-1.0/apr_buckets.h:890: error: expected declaration
specifiers or ‘...’ before ‘apr_off_t’
/usr/include/apr-1.0/apr_buckets.h:891: error: expected declaration
specifiers or ‘...’ before ‘apr_off_t’
/usr/include/apr-1.0/apr_buckets.h:1168: error: expected declaration
specifiers or ‘...’ before ‘apr_off_t’
/usr/include/apr-1.0/apr_buckets.h:1367: error: expected declaration
specifiers or ‘...’ before ‘apr_off_t’
/usr/include/apr-1.0/apr_buckets.h:1381: error: expected declaration
specifiers or ‘...’ before ‘apr_off_t’
/usr/include/apr-1.0/apr_buckets.h:1431: error: expected declaration
specifiers or ‘...’ before ‘apr_off_t’
/usr/include/apr-1.0/apr_buckets.h:1447: error: expected declaration
specifiers or ‘...’ before ‘apr_off_t’
In file included from apachetools.h:1,
                 from apachetools.c:1:
/usr/include/apache2/httpd.h:826: error: expected specifier-qualifier-list
before ‘apr_off_t’
In file included from /usr/include/apache2/http_core.h:32,
                 from apachetools.h:3,
                 from apachetools.c:1:
/usr/include/apache2/util_filter.h:142: error: expected declaration
specifiers or ‘...’ before ‘apr_off_t’
/usr/include/apache2/util_filter.h:299: error: expected declaration
specifiers or ‘...’ before ‘apr_off_t’
In file included from apachetools.h:3,
                 from apachetools.c:1:
/usr/include/apache2/http_core.h:229: error: expected ‘=’, ‘,’, ‘;’, ‘asm’
or ‘__attribute__’ before ‘ap_get_limit_req_body’
/usr/include/apache2/http_core.h:672: error: expected declaration specifiers
or ‘...’ before ‘apr_off_t’
In file included from apachetools.h:4,
                 from apachetools.c:1:
/usr/include/apache2/http_protocol.h:111: error: expected declaration
specifiers or ‘...’ before ‘apr_off_t’
/usr/include/apache2/http_protocol.h:203: error: expected declaration
specifiers or ‘...’ before ‘apr_off_t’
In file included from apachetools.h:6,
                 from apachetools.c:1:
/usr/include/apr-1.0/apr_strings.h:297: error: expected declaration
specifiers or ‘...’ before ‘apr_off_t’
/usr/include/apr-1.0/apr_strings.h:313: error: expected ‘)’ before ‘*’ token
/usr/include/apr-1.0/apr_strings.h:349: error: expected ‘)’ before ‘size’
apachetools.c: In function ‘apacheParseParms’:
apachetools.c:7: error: ‘request_rec’ has no member named ‘args’
make[2]: *** [apachetools.o] Error 1
make[1]: *** [gateway] Error 2

Grace