[OPEN-ILS-DEV] Gentoo ebuild 20070215

Dan Scott denials at gmail.com
Fri Feb 23 14:05:51 EST 2007

On 23/02/07, Mike Rylander <mrylander at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 2/23/07, Dan Scott <denials at gmail.com> wrote:
> > On 22/02/07, Don McMorris <don.mcmorris at gmail.com> wrote:
> > > I love my weird configurations ;)
> >
> > I don't think there is any such thing as a normal configuration :)
>
> Not on Gentoo, no... but that's kinda the point, right? ;)
>

> > > I would really love it if somebody made a VMWare image that could be
> > > downloaded ;)  I'm sure that, if somebody did want to build VM Images,
> > > LiveCD's, or something along those lines, PINES would at least
> > > consider a BitTorrent tracker to share them and possibly OpenBiblio
> > > providing space to download from.
> >
> > Creating a VMWare image is exactly what I've been working on (and off)
> > since November. I restarted my effort three days ago now, and am
> > confident that I'll have it ready by the end of the code4lib
> > conference next week.
> >

> I wonder, with the current speed of releases, how much work this will
> end up being for you (or anyone) to maintain? ... Of course, if some
> resources were directed at a streamlined installer and upgrader (FIT,
> anyone) then it would be easier/better/less-filling/tastes-great
> (winkwinknudgenudge).

Shouldn't be _too_ bad if I/somebody else takes a snapshot of a good
base configuration and just applies the updated Evergreen code each
time with some basic test data.

> Eh? EH?!?
>
> (Yes, I would really like someone to step in and help us design FIT
> ...  Let's sketch a real plan for this thing!)

I've got one word for you: GSOC.

Okay, four: Google Summer of Code. A dedicated student with 12-ish
weeks to sit down, learn the problem domain, read a well crafted
requirements and design doc (FIT, sure), and start pulling together a
solution should be able to go a long way on this.

Heck, even getting a student to work on using autoconf to deal with
all of the dependencies would be a great help.

Dan