[OPEN-ILS-DEV] ubuntu startup script

Dan Scott denials at gmail.com
Thu Jul 12 14:55:11 EDT 2007

Hi Rene:

On 12/07/07, Rene Paquin <rpaquin at wlu.ca> wrote:
> I am trying to get the openils ( ver. 1.15 with latest svn files) to
> start up when the server (Ubuntu) is rebooted and I have created a file
> called openils and placed it in the init.d directory with the following
> contents...

<snip>

> The problem remains that root must be logged in in order for searches to
> be successful thru the opac.  If root is not logged in then the search
> just continues with never any results.
>
> What step am I missing?

init scripts tend to be much more complex than that, unfortunately.
It's a good idea but it will take a little more work to get a working
init script together that acts in the way that other scripts do. Note
that most modern init systems include the idea of dependencies; so:

 * /etc/init.d/openils could have a dependency on /etc/init.d/opensrf
being up and running
 * /etc/init.d/opensrf could have a dependency on
/etc/init.d/memcached being up and running

... and I'm pretty sure that /etc/init.d/memcached should already
exist, so you shouldn't have to include it manually within a custom
script.

This is definitely something that needs to be created as part of the
Linux packaging; it's just going to take a little more time & the
focus of people experienced with the various flavours of init scripts
used by different distributions.

--
Dan Scott
Laurentian University