[OPEN-ILS-DEV] PATCH: srfsh.c (treatment of login_session)

Bill Erickson billserickson at gmail.com
Wed Jul 25 13:41:07 EDT 2007

On 7/25/07, Mike Rylander <mrylander at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 7/25/07, Bill Erickson <billserickson at gmail.com> wrote:

> > > heh ... I'll say so.  One thing this drops, though, is the command
> > > renaming which would actually give us i18n for free.
> >
> > I'm definitely missing something.  What's being i18n-ized in srfsh?
>
> Nothing directly, but if we allow the config file to define the
> spelling of the commands, then everything (basically).  Imagine
>
>   <extension command="login" object="foo.so" func="login_func"/>
>
> for English, but replace it with
>
>   <extension command="connexion" object="foo.so" func="login_func"/>
>
> for French.

I think of srfsh as a progromatic interface as much as a human-interaction
interface.  Providing translations for script commands feels odd to me.  If
we change "request" to "demande" for French (or "login" to "connexion"), how
do we handle the existing srfsh scripts that call those commands explicity?
We force the external scripts to pass en-US as the srfsh locale?

> > That reminds me, I guess srfsh will need an additional environment
> variable
> > for setting the OpenSRF locale once that exists...
> >

> There are plenty of locale-ish env variables already.  See
>
>   $ locale -v

Good point.

> > I'm probably
> > > missing something, but what is all that infrastructure buying us that
> > > a simple config file controlled hash not?
> >
> > I'll wait on the patch to make sure I'm understanding the proposal...
> >

> OK ... I think we're imagining the same functionality, I'm just seeing
> a simpler (dumbed-down?) implementation.

Yeah, I think so.

-bill