[OPEN-ILS-DEV] Installing Staff Client on Mac

Karen Collier kcollier at kent.lib.md.us
Fri Jul 27 16:27:51 EDT 2007

Actually, I tried one more thing after sending this and it worked... Sort
of.  These instructions on installing a xulrunner application on Mac helped
out.  http://developer.mozilla.org/en/docs/XULRunner:MacFAQ

Following is what I did, what worked, and what didn't work.  If anyone has
any suggestions on what I did wrong or what I might do to make it more
functional, I would love to hear them.

Xulrunner 1.8.1.3 was already installed.  The staff_client folder, missing
the symlinks, and with the build/server folder removed was on the desktop.
(I'm using Evergreen 1.2.0 rc1)  From the terminal, I ran:

/Library/Frameworks/XUL.framework/xulrunner-bin --install-app
~/Desktop/staff_client/build

Which installed the staff client to
/Applications/PINES/open_ils_staff_client.app

>From Finder, I did Go > Applications > PINES > open_ils_staff_client

Which opened the login page.  I entered the info, it connected to the server
okay, and asked me to register the workstation.

First problem:  the dropdown that lets you select which library you're
registering this for wouldn't drop down, so you could only register to the
top consortial level (this isn't a problem on the staff client I have on the
EG server or on the windows staff client connecting to the server).  I tried
registering at the consortial level and it registered me okay.

I entered username and password to open the actual client.  Here's the major
problem:  No menus.  The staff client opened with the tab for that first
page that shows the index of the server, but the menus along the top for
File, Edit, Search, Circulation, Cataloging weren't there.  I thought maybe
they'd been moved to the top bar with the blue apple that most application
menus are in for Mac, but they weren't there either.  Without that menu, the
staff client is crippled.

Then, when I tried to Exit Evergreen, it said "The application
open_ils_staff_client quit unexpectedly."  Not a major problem, but still...

So, did I do something wrong, or does the staff client need some tweaking
before it'll run right on Mac?  Thoughts?

I'm also curious, are there other libraries out there who want to run this
on Mac?  Or is this not a huge priority at this point?

Thanks,
Karen