[OPEN-ILS-DEV] PATCH: osrfConfig.c (messages to stderr)

Mike Rylander mrylander at gmail.com
Sat Jun 16 20:06:25 EDT 2007

On 6/16/07, Scott McKellar <mck9 at swbell.net> wrote:

[snip]

> In this patch I send similar messages to standard error, so that
> someone can see them.  It might make sense to delete the calls
> to osrfLogWarning(), but I left them alone.

Committed with our thanks.  (And updating to an SVN snapshot would be
a good idea, methinks ... May 17 is getting stale -- mostly due to
your patches, of course.)

Looking forward, I would love to see the logging infrastructure detect
the fact that it is unaware of any configured logging mechanism and
automatically send all output (properly prefixed) to stderr.  This
would keep us from having to go through such contortions (simple as
they may seem) and concentrate the exception reporting in one place.

The Perl logging infrastructure did this many moons ago, but was
replaced along the way and given syslog capabilities.  Syslog is
certainly a step up, but automatically falling back on stderr would be
a bonus now.

--miker