[OPEN-ILS-DEV] SPAM: MySQL support?

Dan Scott denials at gmail.com
Wed Jun 20 23:59:35 EDT 2007

On 20/06/07, Jack Bates <ms419 at freezone.co.uk> wrote:
> Hi, I've been hired to setup an open source ILS for three small
> libraries at Simon Fraser University. We are looking at a couple
> projects, but Evergreen seems to have the most momentum behind it.
>
> Currently we're installing Evergreen on a local server, but would
> eventually like to move to a hosting package. Each library has
> approximately 4000 holdings and currently doesn't see heavy use, so
> maximum performance is not our first concern, however finding a hosting
> package which supports Evergreen is.
>
> Most hosting packages include MySQL, which some of our other web
> applications (MediaWiki) require. I'm not sure how difficult it will be
> to find a hosting package which includes PostgreSQL. We are considering
> a managed, colocated server, but still feel running Evergreen on MySQL
> would give us more flexibility.

Hi Jack:

Here's a quick list of hosts that offer PostgreSQL support:
http://www.postgresql.org/support/professional_hosting_northamerica

The good people on #postgresql (Freenode IRC network) also recommended
Dreamhost if you're looking for a relatively inexpensive hosted
PostgreSQL option.

As for running Evergreen on MySQL, you need to take a look at the
schema defined in the scripts in the ILS/Open-ILS/src/sql/Pg/
directory and consider the work required to migrate the database
schema over to MySQL. The schema itself would be fairly
straightforward, with the exception of the schemas themselves (MySQL
doesn't understand schemaName.tableName.columnName, you would need to
do something like munge schemaName_tableName.columnName), but the
user-defined functions) would be a much more challenging piece of
work, I think. Think long and hard about exploring PostgreSQL hosts,
first.

--
Dan Scott
Laurentian University