[OPEN-ILS-DEV] debian libdbd-pgsql and "cannot find -ldbdpgsql"

Dan Scott denials at gmail.com
Thu Jun 28 00:11:57 EDT 2007

On 27/06/07, Jack Bates <ms419 at freezone.co.uk> wrote:
> Hello, Jack from the SFPIRG library project at SFU here.
>
> We're trying to build Evergreen / OpenILS on Debian and I'm getting the
> following error:
>
> -------------- [ openils_core ] -------------------------------------------
>
> c_apps
> oils_auth.so
> oils_cstore.so
> /usr/bin/ld: cannot find -ldbdpgsql
> collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
> make[2]: *** [oils_cstore.so] Error 1
> make[1]: *** [c_apps] Error 2
>
> - though libdbd-pgsql 0.7.1-3.1+b1 is installed and
> /usr/lib/dbd/libpgsql.la|so exist.
>
> My guess is I'm missing a -L/usr/lib/dbd somewhere, but I'm not sure
> where...
>
> I'm building Evergreen-ILS-1.1.5

Hi Jack:

I believe Evergreen had hardcoded the location for the libdbi
libraries to /usr/local/lib/dbd/ in their makefile; a patch I sent a
few weeks back was committed that added a DBI_LIBS option to
install.conf / make config to correct this problem.

However, the reason the location had been hardcoded is because you
absolutely have to build libdbi and libdbdpgsql from source. libdbi
0.7.1 is too old, I'm afraid. You want 0.8.2. See
http://open-ils.org/dokuwiki/doku.php?id=libdbi

> I also tried checking out Evergreen and OpenSRF from Subversion, to see
> if this problem still manifested. I did:
>
> svn co svn://svn.open-ils.org/ILS/trunk Evergreen
> cd Evergreen
> svn co svn://svn.open-ils.org/OpenSRF/trunk OpenSRF
>
> - but I guess I didn't do it right because:
>
> -------------- [ openils_core ] -------------------------------------------
>
> c_apps
> In file included from oils_idl-core.c:1:
> oils_idl.h:1:25: error: opensrf/log.h: No such file or directory
> oils_idl.h:2:27: error: opensrf/utils.h: No such file or directory
> oils_idl.h:3:31: error: opensrf/osrf_hash.h: No such file or directory

There's a lot of recent churn going on in SVN that might be causing
problems for the build process (ironic, because the work is actually
trying to make it easier to build OpenSRF / OpenILS down the road!).

> I'm still searching for build instructions in the Trac or DocuWiki
> Wikis.

http://open-ils.org/dokuwiki/doku.php?id=generic_installation_information
might be what you're looking for, although the instructions might
reflect a bit of a mix of 1.0.x and 1.1.x at this point, and nothing's
completely up-to-date with SVN trunk. Several of us used this
documentation as a base for writing the distribution-specific install
instructions at
http://open-ils.org/dokuwiki/doku.php?id=server_installation

--
Dan Scott