[OPEN-ILS-DEV] debian libdbd-pgsql and "cannot find -ldbdpgsql"

Don McMorris don.mcmorris at gmail.com
Thu Jun 28 00:13:52 EDT 2007

On 6/27/07, Jack Bates <ms419 at freezone.co.uk> wrote:
> Hello, Jack from the SFPIRG library project at SFU here.
>
> We're trying to build Evergreen / OpenILS on Debian and I'm getting the
> following error:
>
> -------------- [ openils_core ] -------------------------------------------
>
> c_apps
> oils_auth.so
> oils_cstore.so
> /usr/bin/ld: cannot find -ldbdpgsql
> collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
> make[2]: *** [oils_cstore.so] Error 1
> make[1]: *** [c_apps] Error 2
>
> - though libdbd-pgsql 0.7.1-3.1+b1 is installed and
> /usr/lib/dbd/libpgsql.la|so exist.
>
> My guess is I'm missing a -L/usr/lib/dbd somewhere, but I'm not sure
> where...

Although intended for Debian, the following page may be helpful:
http://open-ils.org/dokuwiki/doku.php?id=other_dependencies_on_debian
Specifically:
---
Create a conf file for ld in /etc/ld.so.conf.d so the dbdpgsql driver
is recognized. This command creates a file "dbd.conf" under
/etc/ld.so.conf.d/ with one line in it "/usr/lib/dbd".
$ echo /usr/lib/dbd > /etc/ld.so.conf.d/dbd.conf

Run ldconfig to refresh the ld cache. This will use the new config
file you made to find the dbdpgsql library.
$ ldconfig

Confirm that it is found, this command should show an entry like
"libdbdpgsql.so (libc6) ⇒ /usr/lib/dbd/libdbdpgsql.so"
$ ldconfig -p |grep dbd
---
Note that I would do the last one ($ ldconfig -p |grep dbd) first, and
use the first and second only if needed...

> I'm building Evergreen-ILS-1.1.5
>
> I also tried checking out Evergreen and OpenSRF from Subversion, to see
> if this problem still manifested. I did:
>
> svn co svn://svn.open-ils.org/ILS/trunk Evergreen
> cd Evergreen
> svn co svn://svn.open-ils.org/OpenSRF/trunk OpenSRF
>
> - but I guess I didn't do it right because:
>
> -------------- [ openils_core ] -------------------------------------------
>
> c_apps
> In file included from oils_idl-core.c:1:
> oils_idl.h:1:25: error: opensrf/log.h: No such file or directory
> oils_idl.h:2:27: error: opensrf/utils.h: No such file or directory
> oils_idl.h:3:31: error: opensrf/osrf_hash.h: No such file or directory

It looks like you may have to `mv OpenSRF opensrf`.  Perhaps the
output of `ls -lR Evergreen` [lowercase L, capital R] (or similar) may
be helpful just to ensure the directory tree is generally kosher
(NOTE: this may be long, so you may want to add `> tmp.txt` or similar
to the command, and send us the txt file).

As you probably know, OpenSRF and Evergreen were once merged as one
product, but were recently separated when the full-time developers'
migrated from CVS to SVN.  These changes were so recent that some of
the documentation may be behind.

> I'm still searching for build instructions in the Trac or DocuWiki
> Wikis.
All the build instructions are on the DokuWiki.  Trac is (for now)
only utilized as a SVN web front-end.  The build instructions are at
http://open-ils.org/dokuwiki/doku.php?id=server_installation
Again, with the recent migration to SVN and the separation of ILS and
OpenSRF, some of these instructions may be obsolete... Please let us
know if you come across anything that appears wrong...

> Could Evergreen maybe use Subversion externals feature to
> automatically pull OpenSRF into the correct location when Evergreen is
> checked out?
> http://svnbook.red-bean.com/nightly/en/svn.advanced.externals.html
Sure! Evergreen can do pretty much anything! Whether or not they will
is another story ;)
I think there's still some debugging for the SVN migration, but
something like that is surely to come soon... AFAIK, the majority of
the "core developers" are native CVS users, and SVN is relatively new.
 It is definitely something we'll be discussing, I'm sure!

> Much thanks, Jack

Good luck!

--Don