[OPEN-ILS-DEV] Patch to ease Evergreen configuration, fix minor typos (and more!)

Bill Erickson billserickson at gmail.com
Mon Mar 5 16:02:35 EST 2007

On 3/4/07, Dan Scott <denials at gmail.com> wrote:

> The instructions in bootstrap.conf.example that tell you to point to
> opensrf.xml when, for Evergreen, you actually need to point to
> openils.xml, have bitten me a few times now. So I thought I would try
> to do something about it.
>
> New file - OpenILS/examples/bootstrap.conf.example:
> * Copy OpenSRF/examples/bootstrap.conf.example to OpenILS/examples/ so
> that
> we can set reasonable defaults for location of conf and log files
>   * Modify Makefile to copy OpenILS/examples/bootstrap.conf.example
> over top of the OpenSRF version in the target install directory
>
> I also thought it would make sense to use the same set of default
> database settings throughout all of the conf files, rather than the
> current mix of dbname demo-dev vs. evergreen.
>
> install.conf.example:
> * Make the database connection string match the defaults that were in
> OpenILS/examples/openils.conf.example
>
> This patch also includes a few corrections for spelling typos. All of
> this was diff'ed against CVS HEAD from Friday night.

Excellent!  I've applied the spelling fixes and DB settings part of the
patch to HEAD and committed.

The openils.xml issue has been bugging me for a while now, too.  However,
instead of creating an Open-ILS version of bootstrap.conf to accommodate the
different opensrf config file names (openils.xml vs. opensrf.xml),  I've
simply changed the name of openils.xml.example to opensrf.xml.example in the
Open-ILS tree.  It's my feeling that openils.xml should have been called
opensrf.xml all along since that's the purpose it serves -- to act as the
opensrf config file -- and that this will reduce confusion in the long run
(confusion encountered while reading this email notwithstanding :-)).

"make install" now copies the Open-ILS version of opensrf.xml over the
default opensrf version and that file should now be used as the global
application config instead of openils.xml

bootstrap.conf still says  "settings_config = /path/to/opensrf.xml", so it
will still be necessary to manually update the path, but at least the
filename will be correct.

To repeat:  openils.xml is DEAD! Long live opensrf.xml!

The next step is to go through the wiki and change references from
openils.xml to opensrf.xml.

Dan, thanks for the patch and for somehow making me use more exclamation
points in a single email than I ever have before.  Keep 'em comin'!!

!

-bill

--
Bill Erickson