[OPEN-ILS-DEV] Jabberd vs. Ejabberd

Bill Erickson billserickson at gmail.com
Fri Mar 23 15:00:20 EDT 2007

On 3/23/07, Jason Stephenson <jstephenson at mailserv.mvlc.lib.ma.us> wrote:

> Jason Stephenson wrote:
>
> > Am I way off base here or headed in an interesting direction?
>
> Just a followup to my own message:
>
> If I am headed in a wrong direction, I can always install Ejabberd.
>
> ;)
>
> Cheers,
> Jason

Jason,

Way back when, we used Jabberd2 for development.  The main issue we had was,
at the time, it required a 3rd-party patch to disable offline message
storage.   From glancing at their patches page[1], it looks like that may
still be the case.  (For the curious, offline storage must be disabled or
the router won't know when a service has been taken offline).

Apart from a few installation woes on previous versions of Ejabberd/Erlang
(mainly on non-X86 machines), Ejabberd has served us well since day 1, and
it's probably easier to install than patching Jabberd2 and building it from
source.  Just my 2 cents.

[1] http://j2.openaether.org/mediawiki/index.php/Jabberd2_patches

-bill

--