[OPEN-ILS-DEV] Bash Dependency in build system

Jason Stephenson jstephenson at mailserv.mvlc.lib.ma.us
Mon Mar 26 16:16:01 EDT 2007

Bill Ott wrote:
> I happen to be working on this as well.  For bash, I've simply symlinked
> /bin/bash.
> Other items you'll run into include the lack of strndup for FreeBSD, and
> my current hurdle, trying to track down libdbdpgsql.
                                           ^^^^^^^^^^^
libdbdpgslq is most likely here:

/usr/local/lib/dbd/libpgsql.so

if you installed /usr/ports/databases/libdbi-drivers.

However, I've still not had much luck building Evergreen on FreeBSD.

I ran the following to fix the build scripts and Makefiles to find bash
and to use gmake instead of just make to get around initial errors:

for file in $(find ./ -name '*.sh' -exec grep -l '^#\!/bin/bash' {} \; )
do
sed -E -e 's/^(#\!)(\/bin\/bash)/\1\/usr\/local\2/' -e 's/make/gmake/' \
  -i '.orig' $file
done

for file in $(find ./ -name Makefile -exec grep -l 'make' {} \; )
do
sed -e 's/make/gmake/' -i '.orig' $file
done

make config or gmake config works fine and I fill in the appropriate
info for my system.

After that, doing a gmake build actually runs gmake on the appropriate
files, but the compiles all fail because there are more include
directories that need to be configured than are asked about in config.sh.

Since I do not have the time to go chasing all of these down, I may just
give up on trying this on FreeBSD and install Debian or FC 6 instead.

It would be nice to iron all of this out or to get Evergreen configured
with the GNU autotools, which would handle a lot of these portability
issues*, but I'm doing this and trying to do my regular work at the same
time.

*Even the missing strndup could be replaced with a generic
implementation via GNU autotools.

Well, that's it for today.

Cheers,
Jason