[OPEN-ILS-DEV] Evergreen maintenance

Mike Rylander mrylander at gmail.com
Wed Mar 28 19:42:35 EDT 2007

On 3/28/07, Harry Bochner <Harry.Bochner at biogenidec.com> wrote:

> > I am curious, if you have a current OPAC, do you currently pay for a
>  > support contract for it?
>
> We currently have InMagic Genie. Probably there is a support contract, but I
> don't
> know about that (outside my concerns as a consultant ...) What I do know is
> that
> the staff are dissatisfied both with the OPAC, and, more crucially, with the
> work-flow for cataloging.
>
> Speaking of Genie, if all goes well with Evergreen, I'll be looking for
> advice on
> transferring catalog information. I've looked at the data from Genie enough
> to anticipate a big headache. It could be a big  help if some one else has
> dealt with this before ...

Nobody has yet attempted a migration from Genie, but if you can get
the data out in some structured format (ideally MARC21) then import is
possible.  The amount of pain will be directly proportional to the
divergence of the output from MARC21, though ...

mrylander at gmail.com
GPLS -- PINES Development
Database Developer
http://open-ils.org