[OPEN-ILS-DEV] Evergreen Collection Development

Dan Scott denials at gmail.com
Tue May 1 08:06:51 EDT 2007

Art:

I read your Woodchip document yesterday
(http://open-ils.org/dokuwiki/doku.php?id=scratchpad:acq_serials) and
agree that the Desiderata piece would be very useful. Do you envision
the spending scenarios being visible outside the library? It seems
something like a departmental wish list for materials that would go
beyond the classic "request an item" function (which usually goes into
a black hole as far as feedback goes) with an Amazon-style mix of
wanted items, rankings by those in the department, augmentation of
reviews, artwork, etc from other sources to aid those in rankings
would offer a collaborative model for collection development - and
might be another way to encourage quick donations to the library.

All very fuzzy right now (it is, after all, still just 8:00 am) but
I'm excited by the possibilities.

To get this thread back on track, I'm looking forward to seeing what
Chris has in mind for a collection development interface - both from a
user experience and from an architectural perspective.

--
Dan Scott
Laurentian University