[OPEN-ILS-DEV] Evergreen Collection Development

arhyno at uwindsor.ca arhyno at uwindsor.ca
Tue May 1 09:30:55 EDT 2007

Hi Dan,

Yes, a collaborative model of collection development should be possible,
there is a very granular user permission system and it would be great if
this process could have the option for wider participation. It does mean
that there also needs to be options to keep some of the financial
information confidential, but I think this can be done as well. OFBiz's
notion of a catalog(ue) is weak compared to a library's, but as a staging
area for orders, some of the functionality, like extensive lists and
budget scenarios, are very useful.

In a university situation, it would be ideal to reach out to students as
well, especially undergraduates. That's always been the tricky part I have
seen in collaborative faculty models for collection development, there are
big segments of the campus population that can get left behind. I have
also wondered how e-books fit into this mix, I have always done collection
development for computer science departments, and have seen O'Reilly's
safari service come to be a huge part of the collection. In safari, you
rent digital content based on "slots", and have a fairly frequent option
to rotate the titles. I don't know if it's indicative of other e-book
services, but I am really interested in how options like safari should
interact with the ILS. For example, would it be worth mapping safari's
slot system into a desiderata setup?

It strikes me that any acq/ser system should be far more aware of digital
content than its brethren in the commercial world. The solutions in the
ILS marketplace have largely been to move this piece into ERM systems, but
it seems appropriate to deal with all of the library's content in one
place.

art