[OPEN-ILS-DEV] EJabberd Problems on FC5?

Mike Rylander mrylander at gmail.com
Mon May 21 02:17:25 EDT 2007

On 5/21/07, Hennie Rautenbach <hennie at sabinet.co.za> wrote:
> Don McMorris wrote:
>
> > On that note, there are companies whom will provide priority and
> > contract support for Evergreen, if ever that was a potential
> > "downpoint" keeping anybody from considering Evergreen as a viable
> > product.
>
> Can anyone share details as to which distro of Linux Evergreen will run
> on "out of the box" (minimum installation hassle) ? This question still
> remains unanswered for me.

The developers (same folks as the PINES admins) have had great success
with both Gentoo and Debian (etch).  However, being the developers, we
tend to be too familiar with the installation procedures to keep from
taking things for granted -- and that's why we've been mostly reactive
on the lists  -- as opposed to proactive with complete end-to-end
documentation.  Well, that, and PINES hasn't had the budget for a tech
writer (there are 3 of us programming full time, and one wrangling us
programmers AND 46 systems worth of librarians in addition to admining
the production cluster -- under-staffed and over-worked, and we love
every minute of it ;) ).

So far outside of PINES the most success seems to be coming from
Debian-derived distros (there's the Ubuntu VMWare image) and Gentoo
(also a VMWare image), so those seem the best places to start.  In
fact using the images as a reference may be a good way for you and
others to help fill in the gaps in the install docs.  Hopefully we'll
be able to start gleaning a good set of generic instructions based on
the more distro-specific ones people are currently building.

Well, I guess that doesn't definitively answer your question.  The
best advice is really to go with the unix-ish system that you know
inside and out.  By doing that you'll not only help us uncover any
built-in assumptions we've made platform-wise (already squashing some
of those) but you're more likely to get past the more ... arcane ...
hurdles, which tend to be system dependency related.

Anyway, I hope that helps.

--miker