[OPEN-ILS-DEV] login problem with Evergreen and LVS

dkyle dkyle at grpl.org
Tue May 22 15:38:43 EDT 2007

We are testing a small Evergreen cluster.  We setup two servers running
Postgres and pgpool, two "real servers" running Evergreen, and one LVS
server.  Login with the Evergreen client would sometimes fail with a
lengthy message regarding no authentication seed being found.  Some
packet capturing revealed that the error occurred whenever the LVS
director changed real servers between the clients initial http request,
and the subsequent https request.  This seemed a little strange since
this involves 2 separate TCP streams.

Is this what would be expected?
If so, how have others dealt with the issue?
What is going on with the client login process during the initial http
request that requires the https request to hit the same real server?  I
did look through the packet decode for that, but I don't understand the
internal workings enough.

Doug.