[OPEN-ILS-DEV] Evergreen Collection Development

Wilkening, Chris Chris.Wilkening at brodart.com
Thu May 24 15:22:17 EDT 2007

Below are some excerpts from an e-mail that might answer some of the
questions you had posed for me a month ago:

Brodart would encourage Evergreen to adopt an industry standard EDI
order format.  Brodart can process such orders and produce electronic
acknowledgments and invoices.

Evergreen should consider in their development the need for libraries to
communicate distribution and cataloging information to the vendors that
they do business with.  This is commonly referred to as enriched or
enhanced order details and would include; Bib Number, Branch Code,
Branch Quantity, Collection Code, Item Type, Fund Code, and Call Number.
Depending on the format they are leaning towards we could recommend the
structure of this data.

Brodart currently processes orders in EDI standard formats of X12 and
EDIFACT format.  The new ONIX format is also on our radar.

I would be interested to know if they have the ability to import MARC
records from a vendor's website either to update that system with what
has been ordered on the vendor's website or to populate a purchase order
that would later be sent to the vendor as an EDI order.  If they have
this capability they should know that Brodart's Bibz can produce
on-order MARC records with holdings information for these purposes.

Christopher Wilkening

Web/Application Developer

Brodart Co.

570-326-2461 x6496