SPAM: RE: [OPEN-ILS-DEV] Evergreen and EDI (was Evergreen Collection Development)

Ann-Marie Breaux ABreaux at ybp.com
Tue May 29 16:49:56 EDT 2007

Hi everybody,

Now that another vendor has mentioned EDI, I'll uncloak and say "me,
too!" There was a post a while back talking about the first phase of
acquisitions containing the ability to print paper purchase orders.
While I understand that some publishers may not be able to receive EDI
POs, almost all of the library wholesalers can, and having a library
have to print/mail paper POs would be a step backwards, both in terms of
doublekeying and fulfillment time. Like Ingram, YBP (an academic library
supplier) accepts electronic orders in a variety of EDI and non-standard
formats. In terms of EDI invoices, I would think that any library that
has gotten used to receiving its huge subscription agent renewal invoice
via EDI will have concerns about going back to entering all of that data
manually from a printed invoice.

If you plan to program to one EDI format, our recommendation (for now)
would be EDIFACT, it being a mature international standard. X12 is a US
standard, TRADACOMS is a British standard, and ONIX/XML standards are
still in development. Ideally an acquisitions system would be able to
output EDI purchase orders and claims, and receive EDI purchase order
acknowledgments and invoices. If that's too ambitious, then POs and
invoices seem like a good starting point.

Also like Ingram, we have many customers who place orders or gather
bibliographic information from our website that they then load into
their local system. Data supplied in MARC 9xx fields is often used to
drive acquisitions processes, whether that's creating the order record
or individual invoice lines. That's especially critical in situations
like approval plans (not common in public libraries, but widely used in
academic libraries), where there is no existing order in the library's
system, but the supplier sends a batch of books every week fitting the
library's general profile. For those books, the library must then gather
MARC records, create POs without sending them, receive/close the POs,
and post the invoice. Many of our customers drive all or part of that
work via a file of MARC records with order and invoice data in 9xx
fields.

I'm not in the position at YBP to volunteer any developers to the
project, but when you get to the point of outputting sample POs for
vetting by vendors and/or needing sample invoices, I'm happy to help
with that.

Thanks for this continuing discussion of the acquisitions module
development.

A-M

Ann-Marie Breaux
Vice President, Academic Service Integration
YBP Library Services, plus Baker & Taylor and J.A. Majors

phone/fax: (678) 445-5720
vmail: (800) 258-3774 x3504
e-mail: abreaux at ybp.com

GA address: 131 Dockside Downs Drive, Woodstock, GA  30189
NH address: 999 Maple Street, Contoocook, NH  03229