[OPEN-ILS-DEV] import data from voyager - wiki documentation

Jeroen Ruigrok van der Werven asmodai at in-nomine.org
Fri May 25 02:07:54 EDT 2007

-On [20070525 05:56], Larry Page (larryspage at gmail.com) wrote:
> The whole system architecture is horrible. It is a functional oriented one.
> And because of lacking knowledge/time, steals some not very suitable
> packages such as ejabberd inside, puting the system on the risk with
> security reasons. Open source is good, however the Evergreen needs to be
> redesigned.

I do not like the way you wrote this (it could have been worded a bit more
constructive), but I also do not like the way you got branded a troll quickly,
because I do think you raise a valid concern.  Based on my gut feeling, not
very scientific I know, the current code base coupled with the sheer amount of
installation issues people report, does give a bit of a "ducttape" feeling.

I am trying to get a grasp why ejabberd is used. First of all the Erlang
dependency is a bit out of scope when the rest of the project uses C and Perl,
but ok. But the best reason that I can come up with, and I need to verify this
with some source code reading, is that it is used for message passing and
nothing else.

Someone care to enlighten me?

イェルーン ラウフロック ヴァン デル ウェルヴェン
http://www.in-nomine.org/ | http://www.rangaku.org/