[OPEN-ILS-DEV] import data from voyager - wiki documentation

Jason Etheridge jasone at georgialibraries.org
Fri May 25 03:06:56 EDT 2007

On 5/25/07, Jeroen Ruigrok van der Werven <asmodai at in-nomine.org> wrote:
> I am trying to get a grasp why ejabberd is used. First of all the Erlang
> dependency is a bit out of scope when the rest of the project uses C and Perl,
> but ok. But the best reason that I can come up with, and I need to verify this
> with some source code reading, is that it is used for message passing and
> nothing else.
>
> Someone care to enlighten me?

Right, we use Jabber for message passing.  Ejabberd is a black box,
and as long as it works, we don't care what it's written in (though
Erlang is certainly interesting).  Any jabber server will do as long
as you can disable offline message storing.  Evergreen depends on
jabber, but it doesn't depend on Ejabberd.  Ejabberd just wins for us
on merit.

--
Jason Etheridge
GPLS -- PINES Development