[OPEN-ILS-DEV] import data from voyager - wiki documentation

Dan Scott denials at gmail.com
Fri May 25 07:36:28 EDT 2007

Jeroen has objected to my characterization of Larry as a troll.

I apologize for my hasty reaction. All I can say in my defense is that
I just finished writing a fairly significant chunk of documentation in
the wiki (on importing MARC records into Evergreen) late in the
evening entirely on my own unpaid time, and Larry's post invoked a
reaction that I probably should have slept on rather than posting
immediately.

So: Larry, from my perspective:
 * I admit that I don't know what you mean by a "functional oriented
architecture" - I certainly have seen plenty of evidence of object
oriented code, interface definition language, and object-relational
mapping that suggests something very different. But maybe we have
different things in mind.
 * I think that using a Jabber message server as the underlying
messaging system was actually a brilliant implementation decision that
underpins Evergreen's ability to flexibly scale across multiple
commodity servers.
  * If you're concerned about the security of the Jabber server
approach, please demonstrate this vulnerability. The nice thing about
an open source project is that if there is, in fact, a vulnerability,
it will in all likellihood be rapidly addressed and if not, you have
the option of addressing it yourself, unlike, say, the proprietary ILS
I am most familiar with that passes user passwords in the clear as a
hidden input form variable with every Web page served.

Suggesting that EG needs to be redesigned is pretty extreme. I
strongly suggest reading all of the blog entries in order in the
Open-ILS Blog (http://open-ils.org/blog/) to understand how EG
developed and the care with which design decisions were made. There
might be areas that need to be reconsidered, but it helps to be
plugged in to the conversations that have already been held.

I do see that approximately a week ago you had a support question that
went unanswered, and wonder if part of your comment came from
frustration. If you are still looking for help with Evergreen, I will
try to help you out.

Dan

--
Dan Scott