[OPEN-ILS-DEV] import data from voyager - wiki documentation

Larry Page larryspage at gmail.com
Sat May 26 15:19:09 EDT 2007

Dan,

I believe it is good that you are enjoying open source and Evergreen. You
mentioned you would like to help me for the installation. I appreciate but I
already successfully installed on the Debian Etch according to the
documentation: Installing Evergreen on Ubuntu 7.04 with some changes. It is
a very good document. Thank dbw2 for doing this great job. In the mean time,
I respect all the people like Scott McKellar, Mike Rylander, Don McMorris
and many others. They really make contributions to the community with their
knowledge and / or experience.

Look at the archive. You did replied one of my post. But you made me
confused and I finally found you were not corrected. See the following your
post:

On 16/05/07, Larry Page <larryspage at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> After I installed Evergreen version 1.1.5, I found there is no opensrf_all
> openils_all evergreen_core created. Are these files obsolete in this
> version, or something wrong with building files? But I could not seen any
> error message about it.
>
> Thanks

Hi Larry:

When you specify "openils_all opensrf_all evergreen_core", you're
actually saying "make all of the pieces of openils, and all of the
pieces of opensrf, and just the core of evergreen" - that is, these
are abstract targets, not actual files that you're trying to build.

If you don't see error messages, that's probably a very good thing.
How does "make install" go for you?

Dan Scott
Laurentian University

In reality, there is a file: /openils/bin/opensrf_all for Evergreen
v1.0.xbut it is not appeared in Evergreen
v1.1.5. Luckly, the updated documentation: Installing Evergreen on Ubuntu
7.04, section 23: Setting up Evergreen has this updade and now it clearly
mentions the difference among those versions.

Dan, thanks again for the suggestion the read the Open-ILS Blog. Although it
is pretty long but I will try. For your kindness, I would also like to give
you some recommendation. I have not got time to read all
the posts, just skimed some of them. The following is your another post
on the Evergreen make error:

> On Debian Etch, in stage: "Building and Installing the Source", after make
> config step, I tried to make and got the error and I do not know how the
> Bill's server pass it (make config). The error message has something like:
>
> /usr/include/apr-1.0/apr.h:270: error: expected '=', ',', ';', 'asm' or
> '__attribute__' before 'apr_off_t'

<snip>

The problem you described here is almost certainly a mismatch of an
Apache Portable Runtime (apr) for 2.0.x with Apache 2.2 source. You'll
need to ensure that your apache, apache-devel, & libapr1 packages are
all at the same level for the compile to work.

Dan Scott
Laurentian University

Obviously, It is because of no define of apr_off_t --- If you had had
knowledge of C language, you would not make this very strong but
completely wrong assertion. If there is a computer science department in
Laurentian University, I would recommend you go to take some courses to
brush your skills. To help others, knowledge is much more important than
passion. Lacking of knowledge, things may be even worse if you try to do.

One more, discussing is welcome in any forums. However, do NOT draw a simple
conclusion before making a doulbe check -- even ten times checks; and do NOT
draw any conclusion if you do not have that knowledge.