[OPEN-ILS-DEV] Of Documentation and Duct Tape

Bill Ott bott at grpl.org
Fri May 25 16:38:29 EDT 2007

   Being a system administrator first and a developer second, I write
some damn ugly but often very functional code.  My documentation is
sparse, but usually entertaining.   It is with these afflictions that I
have also been on the development end of an open-source project.

   What I've found is that many people simply want something for
nothing.  Some see open-source only as free software.  Free from cost,
bugs, hassles, learning, problems...  Perhaps they've been spoiled by
some of the popular projects out there.

   I see open-source as an opportunity to make the software do what I
want, whether or not that's what a vendor or the original developer ever
intended.  I don't have the time, skills, or inclination to write
something like Evergreen from the ground up, but I can sure as heck
start with it and tweak it to my needs.

   Evergreen's not a turnkey installation, but it's also not as bad as
some make it seem.  Perhaps this is my own arrogance, but I first
downloaded the source in early March, I've since installed it on 7
different machines and 3 different platforms, and can now have a simple
server up and running in a matter of hours.  Granted, I had installed
and used virtually all of the dependent applications before, and
understanding build errors or hacking up a Makefile was no big deal to
me, but for those familiar with this type of a project, there's nothing
mind boggling.

   I for one applaud those who brought us Evergreen.  For a project of
it's age, it's incredibly well developed, but realistically still in its
infancy.  Is it for everyone?  Maybe not, but it wasn't written for
everyone either.

   I may never have to say again, "Sorry, it just doesn't have that
functionality."  Instead, I'll say, "We'll get to work on that."

-Bill