[OPEN-ILS-DEV] Playground EG server - (Was: VMWare image on MS Virtual Server?)

Dan Scott denials at gmail.com
Mon May 28 12:23:36 EDT 2007

On 28/05/07, Jonathan Rochkind <jonathan at dnil.net> wrote:
> It strikes me that it would be useful if someone wanted to set up a
> 'playground' EG server open to community use, so libraries can check
> out how Evergreen looks (especially from the backend) and works (the
> ability to load records would be good) before/without investing the
> time to actually try to get it running themselves.
>
> Just in case anyone feels like spending time on this.
>
> Jonathan

So are you looking for something more than http://demo.gapines.org (as
documented at the top of http://open-ils.org/cvs.html - downloadable
staff client with demo username / password). By "the ability to load
records", I'm guessing you mean a bulk load of records, which would
(at this point) require a shell account.

Hmm. Maybe this is another job for a virtual machine. It could be
restored to pristine condition on a nightly basis, and could be
firewalled off from whatever network it is running on (in case someone
tried to rootkit the playground server and attack from there). You
might run into conflicts if multiple people were trying to use the
system, but hey - TANSTAAFL.

The administration overhead involved in being responsible for the
security of a system with public shell access wouldn't make it my cup
of tea, and that overhead would probably sink it for most
organizations, but it might make sense for an entity with a commercial
interest in Evergreen to offer private access to a playground EG
server for the low, low price of contact information as a means of
generating leads for future business. And it would also serve as
infrastructure for hands-on training.

There ya go. Business ideas, free of charge.