[OPEN-ILS-DEV] PATCH: socket_bundle.c (adding strerror())

Scott McKellar mck9 at swbell.net
Thu May 31 00:10:14 EDT 2007

This is a moderately large patch, but it's mostly repetitious and
stereotyped.  It uses strerror() to add more meaningful information
to various error messages about socket calls.

Rationale: more detailed information about error conditions will
make it easier to diagnose problems.  Otherwise you have to guess.

Warning #1: I have no intention of trying to test all of these
additions, although I did test one of them.  Since the extra code
is so simplistic, setting up a test for every message would be far
more trouble than it would be worth, in my opinion.  Your opinion
may differ.

Warning #2: These changes were tedious to code, and tedium sometimes
leads to carelessness.  Please eyeball and doublecheck them before
applying them.

Warning #3: strerror() is not thread safe, because it returns a
pointer to an internal buffer.  I don't know if thread safety is of
any concern, or ever will be.  If so, I can replace sterror() with
strerror_r(), which is reentrant and therefore thread safe.  It
merely involves more tedium, because the calling code has to provide
a buffer to receive the message.

Warning #4. Bill Erickson has posted a note that he is rearranging
the error handling in _socket_handle_client_data().  The code from
which I built this patch does not include Bill's changes, so whoever
applies this patch (if anyone does) will need to tiptoe around this
area.

Scott McKellar
http://home.swbell.net/mck9/aargh/