[OPEN-ILS-DEV] PATCH: socket_bundle.[ch] (tidying up)

Scott McKellar mck9 at swbell.net
Thu May 31 10:42:29 EDT 2007

These patches are an exercise in tidying up, mostly by turning global
functions into static functions.

1. I declared several functions as static, and moved their prototypes
from the header file to the implementation file.  In each case I
verified that nothing else in the code base calls it, based on a
snapshot taken on May 17:

- _socket_add_node
- socket_find_node
- socket_remove_node
- _socket_send
- _socket_route_data
- _socket_route_data_id
- _socket_handle_new_client
- _socket_handle_client_data

2. I removed the socket_send_nowait prototype from the header, and
commented it out in the implementation file.  I was tempted to
eliminate it entirely, but stayed my hand.  It is a trivial wrapper
for _socket_send(), and nothing calls it.

3. Nothing calls several other functions either.  However unlike
socket_send_nowait() they are non-trivial functions, and they appear
to be intended for external linkage, so I left them alone for
potential future use:

- socket_open_udp_server
- socket_open_unix_server
- socket_open_udp_client
- socket_connected

4. The identifier _socket_print_list is reserved for local scope,
and should not have external linkage, because it starts with an
underscore followed by a lower case letter.  I may submit a patch to
rename it some day if I ever get around to it, but that will require
a change in socket_test.c, which calls it.

5. I moved the definition of the RBUFSIZE macro from the header file
into the implmentation file.  It is an internal detail that no
other translation unit should know or care about.

------------------------------

Some of my choices may be mistakes, from not knowing about future
directions.  However everything in this patch can be readily undone.

Scott McKellar
http://home.swbell.net/mck9/aargh

Developer's Certificate of Origin 1.1 By making a contribution to
this project, I certify that:

(a) The contribution was created in whole or in part by me and I
have the right to submit it under the open source license indicated
in the file; or

(b) The contribution is based upon previous work that, to the best
of my knowledge, is covered under an appropriate open source license
and I have the right under that license to submit that work with
modifications, whether created in whole or in part by me, under the
same open source license (unless I am permitted to submit under a
different license), as indicated in the file; or

(c) The contribution was provided directly to me by some other person
who certified (a), (b) or (c) and I have not modified it; and

(d) In the case of each of (a), (b), or (c), I understand and agree
that this project and the contribution are public and that a record
of the contribution (including all personal information I submit
with it, including my sign-off) is maintained indefinitely and may
be redistributed consistent with this project or the open source
license indicated in the file.