[OPEN-ILS-DEV] Organisational units

Pierre Nault pierrenault at gmail.com
Thu Nov 1 12:20:47 EDT 2007

Hi Mike,

<snip>

> > Consortium
> >         Example System 2
> >         Example Branch 3
> >         Example Bookmobile 1
> >         Example Branch 4
> >         Universit� du Qu�bec � Montr�al
> >         Example Branch 1
> >         Example Sub-lib 1
> >         Example Branch 2
> >
> > ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
> >
> > I have to mention that that the Apache server and the database have been
> rebooted, so I don't understand why the values are not the same everywhere.
> Also, these values persist even if I flush the browser cache and reload the
> page. Strange. Isn't it?
>
> This is an issue that we just fixed yesterday or the day before,
> actually.  Dan Scott noticed the same thing, and the problem is that
> the file written by one of the scripts called by autogen.sh does not
> write out UTF-8 encoded data.
>
> The easiest fix for now would be to download the following file:
>

> http://svn.open-ils.org/trac/ILS/export/7934/branches/rel_1_2/Open-ILS/src/extras/org_tree_js.pl
>
> and save it in /openils/bin/ (assuming the default installation
> directory).  Then run autogen.sh again.

</snip>

I downloaded the new script and re-run autogen.sh. It change nothing on the
screen. See for yourself (click Choose a library to search)
http://cobaye-ti.bib.uqam.ca/opac/en-US/skin/default/xml/index.xml
You will see strange characters (???). In your browser, if you change the
encoding ( UTF-8 to ISO8859-1) no more strange characters. That's why Pierre
R. was saying it was encoded in ISO-8859-1, even if the Apache server is set
to UTF-8 defaults.
I verified in the javascipt files use for the OPAC and when I open (with
nano) OrgTree.js, the strange characters are there, here's a screen capture
http://www.bibliotheques.uqam.ca/flash_bugs/strange_characters.png. It seems
that the even the js files are not generated with the UTF-8 encoding... (or
maybe it's nano that can't show them).

Any ideas ?

<snip>

> > Finally, I noticed that the OPAC pages are delivered with an ISO 8859-1
> encoding. The pages are not explicitely referring to a character set.

</snip>

I just put the index.xml page (of the OPAC) in the W3C (X)HTML validator (
http://validator.w3.org/) and it gives me lots of errors... starting with
"No Doctype found". This is an XML file, the MIME type doesn't match
(text/xml instead of text/html). Maybe some of the problems with characters
encoding comes from these missings ?

Pierre Nault