[OPEN-ILS-DEV] Send call number to SMS feature + licensing of

Dan Scott denials at gmail.com
Fri Nov 2 09:11:46 EDT 2007

On 01/11/2007, Mike Rylander <mrylander at gmail.com> wrote:

> Wow, Josh.  Sorry for the delay in responding, but it took a little
> while for that to sink in.  That's really awesome!  Some thoughts
> in-line.
>
> On 10/31/07, Josh Stompro <stomproj at larl.org> wrote:
> > I would like to take a stab at adding a little feature to the web
> > catalog interface, it should be fairly easy since I would just be
> > modifying someone else's work.
> >
> > The feature is the ability to send call numbers via SMS from a detailed
> > bib record display.

This sounds really good - the only concern I had was about the ability to
send SMS (and potentially email or, by extension,
Jabber/MSN/Y!/AIM/Googletalk messages) without being authenticated. Making
it configurable would be a very good idea, methinks; DSpace offers a
"Suggest this item" feature that doesn't require authentication, and a
number of sites have discovered that spammers have figured out how to use
this feature to forward any random item with their own "personal message"
attached.

Of course, making it configurable may be as simple as "delete the following
line of javascript from the rdetail_cn_details.xml file".

Very cool, Josh.

--
Dan Scott
Laurentian University