[OPEN-ILS-DEV] method "opac_visible"

Dan Wells dbw2 at calvin.edu
Fri Nov 2 17:20:12 EDT 2007

Hello again,

Now, some speculative answers to the following:

>>> "Pierre Nault" <pierrenault at gmail.com> 11/2/2007 4:19 PM >>>
>I'm curious : You said that the mention of the flag --enable-libdbi in the
>installation instructions for the Ubuntu box where not there before. As I
>remember, someone else on the list said that he installed two Evergreen
>instance on two Ubuntu machine. If he would have follow the same
>installation instructions than me, logically he would have run into the same
>problems, that is, libdbi drivers not installed ? In fact, everybody that
>had installed Evergreen on a Ubuntu machine should have run into these
>problems... Am I right to understand things like this ?

I originally wrote/compiled the Ubuntu install docs using Evergreen 1.0.x.  I am 98.3% certain that the --enable-libdbi option was not necessary on that build, at least when explicitly setting an LD_LIBRARY_PATH in a few places, as the original instructions suggested (which, for various reasons, was not the greatest idea).  Most people here have been on 1.1.x or 1.2.x for so long that they may not believe this to be true, but I installed 1.0.x a half-dozen times using these instructions (mostly for testing/debugging the instructions!), and never hit this problem.  It wouldn't have hurt to have the option there on 1.0.x, but if it ain't broke...

Fast forward to today.  Over the past few months, I did what I could to update the instructions for 1.1.x, but as it was considered a "development branch," I considered it officially "unsupported" as far as the Ubuntu docs were concerned.  When 1.2.x RC1 came about, I wrote up the 1.2.x install docs addendum for someone on this list (sorry, can't recall who), and once we had ironed out the details, she kindly put my addendum up as a new page on the Wiki, with the intention that once 1.2 Final was released, a new, merged page would be created (this is still my intention :).  Unfortunately, the --enable-libdbi option seems to have fallen through the cracks in the process.

In summary, the docs as they are were only guaranteed to work for 1.0.x, and while I did what I could to create notices and addendums for newer versions, most people needed some help from the list/chat while installing, and they probably heard about the --enable-libdbi option in the course of troubleshooting their install here/there.  It should have been added as a 1.1.x/1.2.x change but was not.

Now that 1.2 is officially declared stable (and already a few weeks old) and Ubuntu 7.10 is out, I intend to retire my 7.04 - 1.0.x instructions, merge in the 1.1/1.2 changes, and create a new bullet-proof Evergreen 1.2 / Ubuntu 7.10 install page (and I have a feeling this settings check script is going to help a ton!).  I have been doing testing on 7.10 the over the last week, and intend to post the new page on Monday, maybe Tuesday.  I promise that --enable-libdbi will be on this new page :)

Sorry for the long winded response.

Have a good weekend everyone,
DW