[OPEN-ILS-DEV] method "opac_visible"

Dan Scott denials at gmail.com
Fri Nov 2 16:38:19 EDT 2007

On 02/11/2007, Pierre Nault <pierrenault at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>   Sorry about the delay. I redo the step 17 with the new flag
> --enable-libdbi. Did see some verbose that I didn't saw before:
>
> <snip>
> drivers/oracle/Makefile.am:9: ... `htmldir' previously defined here
> drivers/oracle/Makefile.am:25: docdir was already defined in condition
> TRUE, which includes condition !HAVE_ORACLE ...
> drivers/oracle/Makefile.am:8: ... `docdir' previously defined here
> drivers/oracle/Makefile.am:26: htmldir was already defined in condition
> TRUE, which includes condition !HAVE_ORACLE ...
> drivers/oracle/Makefile.am:9: ... `htmldir' previously defined here
> drivers/pgsql/Makefile.am:6: docdir was already defined in condition TRUE,
> which includes condition BUILDDOCS and HAVE_PGSQL ...
> configure.in:2: ... `docdir' previously defined here
> drivers/pgsql/Makefile.am:7: htmldir was already defined in condition
> TRUE, which includes condition BUILDDOCS and HAVE_PGSQL ...
> </snip>
>
> then I stop and restart the thing with the three broken commands. After
> that I use the same perl script ( settings-tester.pl) to see if the
> drivers were compiled and installed. Oups!same diagnose :
> <snip>
>   We have found that system packages don't link against libdbi.so;
>   therefore, we strongly recommend compiling libdbi and libdbi-drivers
> from source.
> libdbi.so was not linked against /usr/local/lib/dbd/libdbdpgsql.so
>  - you probably need to compile from source.
> libdbi.so was not linked against
> /home/nault/evergreen-admin/eg-srcs/libdbi-drivers-0.8.2-1/drivers/pgsql/.libs/libdbdpgsql.so
>
>  - you probably need to compile from source.
> </snip>
>

> I'm curious : You said that the mention of the flag --enable-libdbi in the
> installation instructions for the Ubuntu box where not there before. As I
> remember, someone else on the list said that he installed two Evergreen
> instance on two Ubuntu machine. If he would have follow the same
> installation instructions than me, logically he would have run into the same
> problems, that is, libdbi drivers not installed ? In fact, everybody that
> had installed Evergreen on a Ubuntu machine should have run into these
> problems... Am I right to understand things like this ?
>
> Pierre Nault

Hello Pierre:

1) Did you create a brand new libdbi-drivers directory, or re-use the
existing one? I would suggest creating a brand-new libdbi-drivers directory,
personally, to ensure that there are absolutely no old compiled files or
settings hanging around from your previous compile. The fact that the
results of settings-tester did not change strongly suggests that the library
was not actually recompiled with the new setting.

2) That is a logical conclusion, however, many people who have run into
these problems have also talked with us on the #OpenILS-Evergreen channel on
Freenode, where it is quite likely that they will have received the
instruction to recompile libdbi-drivers with the --enable-libdbi flag. I
fear that many others will have gone down the same path you have gone down,
but not been so persistent as to actually discover that the documentation
was missing that instruction, and just given up on the install process. On
the other hand, perhaps there is some combination of environment variables
and other settings that makes it possible to work without --enable-libdbi...

BTW, there is another updated version of settings-tester.pl, in case you
want to update it :)

--
Dan Scott
Laurentian University