[OPEN-ILS-DEV] Ejabberd and Ubuntu

Pierre Nault pierrenault at gmail.com
Fri Oct 12 16:27:12 EDT 2007

Hi everyone,

   I'm a system librarian at Université du Québec a Montréal, we're in the
process of evaluating the Evergreen ILS as a possible replacement for our
system. I'm installing Evergreen on a Ubuntu 7.04, following the
instructions on these pages (
http://open-ils.org/dokuwiki/doku.php?id=installing_evergreen_on_ubuntu_7.04)
+ the upgrade for the 1.2 release. The version of Evergreen is the release
candidate 1.2.0. Everything went great until the step #22, precisely at the
end when I register the two new accounts (evergreen, router) in ejabberd. I
have this message :
Can't register user "evergreen at cobaye-TI.bib.uqam.ca" at node '
ejabberd at cobaye-TI': not_allowed
 I search lots of pages in Google and it seems that the ejabberd server was
not working. I tried this:
cobaye at cobaye-TI:~$ ejabberdctl status and it give me that:
RPC failed on the node 'ejabberd at cobaye-TI': nodedown

I tried to see if ejabberd was listening on ports 5222, 5223 or 5269 (like
it says in the ejabberd.cfg file) with netstat : nothing was listening on
these ports. I search in the man ejabberd and in the man ejabberdctl files.
Saw that erlang was needed for ejabberd. I verified that all packages needed
for erlang was there : a file was missing (erlang-x11). Restart the server
with sudo /etc/init.d/ejabberd force-reload. Even if it said: Restarting
jabber server: ejabberd., the server was not listening/working. The node
ejabberd at cobaye-TI is still down.

Anyone have any idea on how can I resolve this problem ?

p.s. I saw that the ejabberd version in the Ubuntu distribution was the
1.1.2, on the ejabberd
site<http://www.process-one.net/en/ejabberd/release_notes/>,
there is a 1.1.4 version.

Thanks,

Pierre Nault
Service des bibliotheques, Technologies de l'information
Université du Québec a Montréal