[OPEN-ILS-DEV] Ejabberd and Ubuntu

Dan Wells dbw2 at calvin.edu
Fri Oct 12 17:12:37 EDT 2007

Hello Pierre,

>From what I see there are a couple issues at play.  First, ejabberdctl will
always give the 'nodedown' message if not run with sudo.  Try 'sudo ejabberdctl
status' and see if you get better results.  My guess is the server is running
properly, you just don't know it yet :)  You may also want to run 'sudo
/etc/init.d/ejabberd stop' followed by 'sudo /etc/init.d/ejabberd start' just
to be extra sure.

Second, the 'not allowed' message will happen if you are not using the same
hostname value consistently.  In the ejabberd.cfg file you should have set a
line like this:

{hosts, ["localhost","your.domain.name.goes.here"]}.

When you then run the 'register' command, you must use the exact same name,
like this:

sudo ejabberdctl register evergreen your.domain.name.goes.here everPass

In other words, the third argument to ejabberdctl must be identical to
whatever you set in the hosts setting; an equivalent name for the same machine
just won't work.

Please let us know if any of this helps.

DW

>>> "Pierre Nault" <pierrenault at gmail.com> 10/12/2007 4:27 PM >>>
Hi everyone,

   I'm a system librarian at Université du Québec a Montréal, we're in the
process of evaluating the Evergreen ILS as a possible replacement for our
system. I'm installing Evergreen on a Ubuntu 7.04, following the
instructions on these pages (
http://open-ils.org/dokuwiki/doku.php?id=installing_evergreen_on_ubuntu_7.04)
+ the upgrade for the 1.2 release. The version of Evergreen is the release
candidate 1.2.0. Everything went great until the step #22, precisely at the
end when I register the two new accounts (evergreen, router) in ejabberd. I
have this message :
Can't register user "evergreen at cobaye-TI.bib.uqam.ca" at node '
ejabberd at cobaye-TI': not_allowed
 I search lots of pages in Google and it seems that the ejabberd server was
not working. I tried this:
cobaye at cobaye-TI:~$ ejabberdctl status and it give me that:
RPC failed on the node 'ejabberd at cobaye-TI': nodedown

I tried to see if ejabberd was listening on ports 5222, 5223 or 5269 (like
it says in the ejabberd.cfg file) with netstat : nothing was listening on
these ports. I search in the man ejabberd and in the man ejabberdctl files.
Saw that erlang was needed for ejabberd. I verified that all packages needed
for erlang was there : a file was missing (erlang-x11). Restart the server
with sudo /etc/init.d/ejabberd force-reload. Even if it said: Restarting
jabber server: ejabberd., the server was not listening/working. The node
ejabberd at cobaye-TI is still down.

Anyone have any idea on how can I resolve this problem ?

p.s. I saw that the ejabberd version in the Ubuntu distribution was the
1.1.2, on the ejabberd
site<http://www.process-one.net/en/ejabberd/release_notes/>,
there is a 1.1.4 version.

Thanks,

Pierre Nault
Service des bibliotheques, Technologies de l'information
Université du Québec a Montréal