[OPEN-ILS-DEV] Re:RE: Ejabberd and Ubuntu

Dan Wells dbw2 at calvin.edu
Sat Oct 20 08:07:48 EDT 2007

Hello Pierre,

About the strange behaviors, I actually discovered them myself in the process of trying to reproduce your error message, which I eventually did (I had seen it once before, but did not document at that time how I fixed it!).  I am not sure if they are distro specific or not, but I guess the news is out now anyway.

I am very sorry that you are still having issues.  I was out of the office yesterday and won't be back until Monday, so if you can stand the wait I will surely do some more testing and give you a better answer then.

If you prefer not to wait, the other Dan's advice to uninstall and reinstall erlang/ejabberd seems good.  The command to remove ejabberd should simply be:

apt-get remove ejabberd

then reinstall with:

apt-get install ejabberd

It should also keep your config file because we are not using the --purge flag, but have a backup handy just in case.  I would start with that, but if it doesn't work, erlang would be your next step, but what I don't know is the exact package name for that ('erlang' would be a good guess :)  You could always look in the gui package manager.  If you do uninstall erlang, my guess is it will force you to uninstall ejabberd, so you will need to install it a third time.

Good luck,
Dan

>>> "Pierre Nault" <pierrenault at gmail.com> 10/19/07 10:57 AM >>>
Good morning Dan,

    On my peregrination in the web to solve this problem, I never heard
about these strange behaviours: you have to reveal this somewhere !
Thankfully, Google will harvest this mailing list...
Apart from that, these little tricks didn't help much : the ejabberd server
is still dead calm...
I verified the ejabberd.cfg file for syntax errors (no problem), restart and
stop ejabberctl and then ejabberd start : still, ejabberd won't work.
Finally I reboot the machine, did a netstat -l -n : nothing on the ports
that ejabberd is suppose to listen. Did again the little sequence of
commands : again nothing from ejabberd.
This is so strange : before the capital letters problem, ejabberd was
running nicely...

So I upload the ejabberd.cfg here (
http://www.bibliotheques.uqam.ca/flash_bugs/ejabberd_cfg.txt).

Thanks a lot,