[OPEN-ILS-DEV] Getting the Django-based admin interface running

Dan Scott denials at gmail.com
Tue Oct 23 22:27:48 EDT 2007

Hello:

I was working on getting the Django-based administration interface running
this evening.

It looks like it's based on the multi-database branch of django. Bill, why
did you decide to go this route? I'm not seeing anything other than the
default Django schemas for stuff like authentication, etc, getting created
in the sqlite database; did you just not want to add these tables to the
existing Evergreen PostgreSQL database?

I was excited to almost get this going. At first, I was running against
django trunk with only a few updates to
models.py(s/FloatField/DecimalField/; import the ugettext_lazy method
as _, add an
explicit PrimaryKey=True attribute for one field that would otherwise fail
with a duplicate primary key warning), and the code seemed to be working; I
was prompted with the familiar Django login prompt, tried manually creating
a superuser following the instructions for contrib.auth but wasn't able to
authenticate through the admin interface. Ah well.

One other thing: as Django is completely oblivious to schemas, all of the
ils_data/models.py tables ended up getting created in the public schema of
the Evergreen database. It makes sense after the fact, but I'm guessing that
maybe you've applied a patch that makes Django schema-aware (Django bug 1051
at least offers a search path)? Or maybe I wasn't supposed to run syncdb
while the ils_data section of settings.py was enabled?

Sorry for the questions. I'm just trying to get  a better idea of what
direction I should be heading with the Django admin interface. I know we've
talked about it a little bit, but having something written down might help
clarify things a bit :)

Thanks,
--
Dan Scott