[OPEN-ILS-DEV] OPAC configurations/skins/themes, etc

Karen Collier kcollier at kent.lib.md.us
Wed Oct 24 15:55:49 EDT 2007

After reviewing the discussion on this list back in July, on customizing the
OPAC, I went through and did some experimentation with my test server
findit.kentcountylibrary.org and created the previously missing page on the
wiki
http://open-ils.org/dokuwiki/doku.php?id=evergreen-admin:customizations:opac
with some basic info on customizing the OPAC.  I'm tempted to try some more
drastic changes to layout and such, but I think that would require a more
in-depth understanding of the OPAC than I currently have.

Another option I've considered, since most of the changes I want are to the
search page and not the results page, is embedding a search box for the OPAC
within the html of our existing Web page set up on another server.  Any
thoughts on how this might be done and if it's practical with the OPAC as it
is?

In that discussion from July there was made mention of some major reworking
of the OPAC planned for the future.  Has that happened?  Is it still in the
works?  Would making some interface and feature suggestions/requests be
appropriate at this point?

Meanwhile, would someone more knowledgeable on customizing the OPAC mind
double checking what I posted on the wiki for errors or omissions?

I'm particularly curious about proxy settings to allow the cover images to
show up.  I was able to get it working with "Allow from all" but from what
I've heard that's not too secure so I don't have that set up right now.
I've seen suggestions of requiring session cookies to access added content,
or using a proxy-pass directive or a mod_perl application to serve the
content.  Could anybody elaborate on those or other more secure options, for
a newbie to server administration?

Thanks,
Karen

--