[OPEN-ILS-DEV] OPAC configurations/skins/themes, etc

Dan Scott denials at gmail.com
Wed Oct 24 19:39:16 EDT 2007

On 24/10/2007, Jason Etheridge <phasefx at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 10/24/07, Karen Collier <kcollier at kent.lib.md.us> wrote:
> >
> http://open-ils.org/dokuwiki/doku.php?id=evergreen-admin:customizations:opac

This is really great, Karen - thanks for doing this.

For hooking up the CSS, it's a matter of adding a section to
/openils/var/web/opac/skin/default/xml/common/css_common.xml - specifically
in the section:

<!-- Our colors -->
<link type='text/css' rel="stylesheet" href="<!--#echo
var='OILS_THEME_BASE'-->/default/css/colors.css"
    name='Default' csstype='color'/>

<link type='text/css' rel="alternate stylesheet"
title='&opac.style.reddish;' href="<!--#echo
var='OILS_THEME_BASE'-->/reddish/css/colors.css"
    name='Default' csstype='color'/>

If you created your own set of colors, called /findit/css/colors.css, then
you could add another <link> tag like so:

<link type='text/css' rel="stylesheet" href="<!--#echo
var='OILS_THEME_BASE'-->/findit/css/colors.css"
    name='Default' csstype='color'/>

... and change the default stylesheet "rel" attribute to "alternate
stylesheet".

Awesome.  Thanks!

> > Another option I've considered, since most of the changes I want are to
> the
> > search page and not the results page, is embedding a search box for the
> OPAC
> > within the html of our existing Web page set up on another server.  Any
> > thoughts on how this might be done and if it's practical with the OPAC
> as it
> > is?
>
> Hrmm.  It should be easy enough to create a form which creates an OPAC
> url, but you might want to consider using OpenSearch, which Evergreen
> supports.  You'll need smarter folks than me to tell you how to hook
> it up, though. *looks around*
>
> If you go to http://gapines.org/ in Firefox, you'll notice that the
> drop-down menu for Firefox's quick search field changes color, and if
> you click on it, you'll see a link for Add "Evergreen".  I believe
> that is using OpenSearch.  You can make a server-side or client-side
> script to parse a target site's OpenSearch description file, which
> explains how to search the site.  You could then make your one search
> box understand how to support multiple targets, perhaps with a
> dropdown, and get results back in a parse-able format.

In fact, http://findit.kentcountylibrary.org seems to support OpenSearch
nicely today! You can do the same thing that Jason suggested for
http://gapines.org with http://findit.kentcountylibrary.org and it works
quite nicely; here's an example search URL:
http://findit.kentcountylibrary.org/opac/extras/opensearch/1.1/MD/html-full?searchTerms=king&searchClass=keyword

Although I suspect that rather than opensearch, you might actually be
looking for the equivalent of a search that opens up in the full search
interface; to deconstruct a sample URL:

http://findit.kentcountylibrary.org/opac/en-US/skin/default/xml/rresult.xml?rt=keyword&tp=keyword&t=king&l=1&d=0&f=

* the t= parameter is your search phrase: "king" in this case
* the f= parameter is your format selector: empty means all formats, "at" is
books, "m" is electronic resources, etc
* the rt= and tp= parameters restrict your search to specific fields
(author, title, keyword, subject, series) - these are normally the same, but
they can be a mix, and without looking at the code I can't tell you exactly
what the parameters mean mnemonically
* the d= and l= parameters restrict your search to a specific subset of
libraries; the d parm stands for "depth" in the hierarchy, and the l parm
refers to the specific location in the hierarchy

So from there you should be able to build a <form> on your Web page with the
appropriate text box, selectors, and hidden input fields to generate a
search. If you want an example, let me know and I'll pull it together for
you.

Once again - thanks and great work!

--
Dan Scott