[OPEN-ILS-DEV] OPAC configurations/skins/themes, etc

Jason Etheridge phasefx at gmail.com
Wed Oct 24 16:39:57 EDT 2007

On 10/24/07, Karen Collier <kcollier at kent.lib.md.us> wrote:
> http://open-ils.org/dokuwiki/doku.php?id=evergreen-admin:customizations:opac

Awesome.  Thanks!

> Another option I've considered, since most of the changes I want are to the
> search page and not the results page, is embedding a search box for the OPAC
> within the html of our existing Web page set up on another server.  Any
> thoughts on how this might be done and if it's practical with the OPAC as it
> is?

Hrmm.  It should be easy enough to create a form which creates an OPAC
url, but you might want to consider using OpenSearch, which Evergreen
supports.  You'll need smarter folks than me to tell you how to hook
it up, though. *looks around*

If you go to http://gapines.org/ in Firefox, you'll notice that the
drop-down menu for Firefox's quick search field changes color, and if
you click on it, you'll see a link for Add "Evergreen".  I believe
that is using OpenSearch.  You can make a server-side or client-side
script to parse a target site's OpenSearch description file, which
explains how to search the site.  You could then make your one search
box understand how to support multiple targets, perhaps with a
dropdown, and get results back in a parse-able format.

Here's the wikipedia entry for general information on OpenSearch:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/OpenSearch

> In that discussion from July there was made mention of some major reworking
> of the OPAC planned for the future.  Has that happened?  Is it still in the
> works?  Would making some interface and feature suggestions/requests be
> appropriate at this point?

It hasn't happened yet, and it's always appropriate to make
suggestions and requests!

Bill Erickson is the OPAC developer and he's offline today, but should
be back tomorrow. :)

--
Jason Etheridge